Monday, December 01, 2008

Geography camp 08

The six of us and two teachers drove off to Mornington Peninsula for the weekend and we basically did physics on waves and the resulting coastlines. We kept being reminded that our teachers were "humans" too LOL and yeah it was awesome. Small classes are always better.


It was the best food camp ever. On the way we snacked and then visited two beaches. We also managed to spill smoothie on the floor of the bus and Nat had to water down the bus later haha. Holding sticky measuring poles is not fun..


When we went to eat at the pub, we felt like orphans with the two best foster mothers ever haha.

We ate so much that two large baskets of chips were left over (school paid xD). I don't know how we managed to eat a mudcake that had gold flecks on it afterwards for Ellen's bday.



Being the nerdy kids we are, we most of us spent a lot of time reading. And playing Pictionary and watching movies. There was so much junk food that we even had cake for breakfast. I woke up early because Jadey was making weird sounds in her sleep and the teachers were cooking breakfast for us.



We did a lot of measuring wind/wave stuff and beach profiles. Ocean beaches have more spilling/plunging waves and are narrower/stepper than bay beaches (surging waves) which are wider/flatter. Collapsing waves are rather rare.

In the summer the constructive waves help gather sand on the shore due to a weaker backwash, but this is the opposite in winter when the destructive waves are strong enough to drag sand away.

I forgot the formulas to calculate everything.



When calculating the beach/mega cusps width we broke the measuring tape at 30m. NO, THE WIND DID. It was so strong and we hadn't thought of plonking me in the middle of the tape as a windbreak yet either.

Our equipment got all this sand in it and so did the lens of my camera LOL. So right now my camera is stuffed LOL damnit.



We found an injured starfish and heaps of fish bladders. My hair was all over my face by then and we had mudcake, gummy bears and wagon wheels for morning tea whilst calculating and collating our data.





Haha Michel spelt "bladder" wrong. I accidentally squished one barefoot.

I think i got a shade pinker and when i showered two spots on my arm hurt. I also suspect that i got sunburnt but nothing is peeling. Good sign?





Freaken hair.

We weren't allowed to go swimming because even though some of us have lifeguard/Austswim qualifications, the teachers don't. Better for surfing i think.





The space with no waves is called a rip. If you get caught in one, swim parallel with the waves and not against it or you will tire out and drown like everyone else.

Don't panic and expect to be pushed out back beyond the first wave that breaks (white foam). Then swim away from the rip and back to the coast.

Before you get eaten up by sharks. haha jk. Well, you never know.


We had eight pieces of fish with that too for our lunch. When we got home we still had a crate full of junk food for us to scab off. I don't know how i managed to keep eating at slarkin's party LOL.

Learned Cooking tip -
Add vinegar to the water to avoid the black lining that forms around the yolk in boiled eggs.



Even though it was only less than two days, I learned a lot on this camp.

I don't think i can look at waves and any landform the same way again. (good way)

I like our geography class. It's small. And it's just right.




Until next time, with a shorter and less wordy post. Byebye


..and wtf am i listening to. Korean bollywood wannabe music again?!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww that looks like so much fun D: Small class as well~ I wanna beach now ;_; Haha you so should have swam in the water anyway :P

Ohhh and me likey the wordy posts too ^_~

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

Just a normal FROGGY eating her way through the world. Find me at lonelypebool@gmail.com