Friday, March 05, 2010

The First week is Over

It's not the workload nor the number of contact hours. It's not having to wake up for 8am lectures or finishing at 6pm+. And it's also not having to adjust to a slightly different learning pattern. 

I think most of us would agree that the hardest part of uni is making friends. There is no scheduled lunchtime for everybody. There are no guarantees that you'll be able to sit next to a familiar face in lectures ranging from 15 to 500 people. Suddenly, everyone has become a "floating friend" in my mind. Someone who you see rarely/occasionally and hope to hang out with for a period of time. 

I don't like to be alone. And during one lonely lunchtime i was tempted to solve/avoid this by studying in the library instead. 

But i think the solution is to be proactive. Make prior arrangements for lunch. Look for people. Crash lectures during long breaks if you have to. (Although i don't recommend Finance... too boring haha) Hang out with existing friends and become friends with their current/new ones. Talk to new people and hope to bump into them enough. And somehow still see people from other universities/campuses. 

I don't know. But i think it's slowly working. 

4 Comments:

Blogger KL said...

you know... your advice is sounds so convincing but in reality, it's so hard to implement! (for me anyway)
you know those people who sit next to you and just give you a big cheesy grin and NEVER talk to you again? That's me. so on behalf of the others out there who are like me, i think you should say hi to them and talk to them.

don't be like fiona and say, "woah. those people creep me out."

4:32 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

viv you're so right. I sit next to people in lectures and introduce myself, and then never see them again...
And the timetables thing makes lunch gatherings difficult. I need to get everyone to give me their timetable or something :p

10:07 PM  
Blogger Yi-Ling said...

you have inspired me. i shall try harder! gosh i thought someone like you, viv, wouldn't have problems with making friends. I guess it affects everyone (that means that seemingly cheerful person next to me in lectures must also be feeling inwardly lonely!!). (also happy birthday again)

11:05 PM  
Blogger f i o n a said...

OYYY! that was oneeee girl! she was so creepy, she ketp staring at me... ><
your smile is as cheesy as a cheshire cat

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

Just a normal FROGGY eating her way through the world. Find me at lonelypebool@gmail.com